The information below will be made public as soon as you publish your public profile. Only your “About me” page and the forums will appear to other members of this member portal (no other parts of your member information will be seen by others.)
Please answer the following questions in the box below to introduce yourself to your excursion group and the rest of the GEA community
6. One word that describes you:
7. Three interesting things about you:
8. A great classroom is where...
9. GEA Programs I have attended or am currently enrolled in:
10. One of my favorite adventures was at...
1. What is your title/position?
2. What is the name of your school, school district, or place of employment?
3. What country and (if applicable) state are you from?
4. What grade(s) are you teaching? (if applicable)
5. What subject(s) do you teach? (if applicable)
Finally, please upload a photo of your favorite adventure!
I'm a National Board Certified Teacher of English as a New Language (a.k.a. ESOL) in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools of North Carolina, USA. I've also taught taught hybrid ESOL/English Language Arts and ESOL/Literacy. I collaborate with content teachers in the Social Studies, Science, and Career & Technical Education departments, so I'm immersed in those curricula too.
I believe that a great classroom is one where all students feel accepted, supported and challenged.
I grew up in New Jersey and lived a number of different places before settling in North Carolina. I've lived in NC longer than anywhere else at this point (nearly 25 years) and it's where I raised my son, so NC is my home.
A word that describes me is "tenacious." Three interesting (or at least informative) facts about me are:
1. I raised my son (now age 22) on my own
2. I got remarried at the beginning of the pandemic
3. I've participated in global education programs for educators in China, Finland (GEA 2019) and Oman. I was also supposed to participate in a program to Australia this past summer (2020), but it's postponed until 2022.
I'm currently enrolled in the GEA Grand Staircase-Escalante program. Here's a photo from the Lapland portion of the GEA 2019 program. I'm the one in the middle. The other two teachers in the picture and I met as participants in an NC educator program to China the year before. We loved the experience so much that we decided to enroll together for GEA Finland in 2019! Traveling and learning with other educators is just the best.